Optician Job Description Template
We are looking for a social, friendly optician to work with our customers to find the most suitable eyewear for their needs. The optician will recommend specific eyewear, take measurements, fit and adjust glasses, and teach customers to properly wear and care for their glasses or contact lenses.
To be successful as an optician, you should have strong customer service, interpersonal, and communication skills. You should be able to recommend specialized eyewear such as for sports and occupational use, as well as informing on and recommending tints and anti-reflective coatings.
- Obtaining patient prescriptions from optometrists and ophthalmologists.
- Taking customer information and measurements of the ocular area.
- Recommending frames or contact lenses that suit the customer's style, face, and specifications.
- Adjusting and fitting frames according to the prescriptions and customer's specifications, as well as to suit the customer's face.
- Preparing work orders for the optical technicians to use to manufacture the lenses.
- Using specialized equipment, such as calipers, lensometers, and lens gauges.
- Keeping inventory on frames and contact lenses to ensure product variety and customer satisfaction.
- Repairing broken frames.
- Educating customers on how to wear and maintain glasses and contact lenses.
- Performing administrative duties, such as managing prescriptions, customer records, and insurance.
- An associate's degree or certification in opticianry.
- On-the-job training and experience in clinical work.
- A state license or certification to practice as an optician.
- The ability to operate specialized equipment.
- Excellent customer service and sales ability.