Oncologist Job Description Template
We are looking for a caring, dedicated oncologist to join our team in diagnosing, treating, and caring for patients with various forms of cancer. The oncologist will work in medical oncology, using chemotherapy and other medications to treat cancer, surgical oncology, surgically removing tumors and surrounding tissues, and radiation oncology, performing radiation therapy for patients.
To be successful as an oncologist, you should be caring and compassionate towards patients who may have to deal with difficult diagnoses. You should be knowledgeable in your field and have excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Working with patients to explain a diagnosis and stage of cancer, discuss treatment options, and assist in managing the side effects and symptoms of cancer and its treatment.
- Leading a cancer treatment team of various healthcare professionals.
- Coordinating treatment plans and prescribing various types of treatment, including chemotherapy and immunotherapy.
- Treating patients with radiation therapy.
- Assisting patients with pain management.
- Performing surgical operations to remove tumors and determine whether cancer has spread from the original starting point.
- Performing basic administrative and clerical tasks, such as keeping records of test results, writing prescriptions, providing cancer information to patients, and monitoring treatment plans.
- A medical degree in oncology and the successful completion of a residency and fellowship in oncology.
- A state license and certification to practice oncology.
- A caring and compassionate nature when dealing with patients.
- A thorough and up-to-date working knowledge of cancers and cancer treatment options.
- Technical skills to operate medical equipment and tools related to cancer treatment.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills.