Radiation Therapist Job Description Template
We are looking for an empathetic radiation therapist to be a member of our oncology team. You will specialize in the planning and execution of radiotherapy treatments. Radiation therapy is one of the main methods used to treat patients with cancer and can be delivered by a machine outside the body, or by placing radioactive material inside patients' bodies, near cancer cells.
To be successful in this role, you must work closely with patients and provide support to them throughout the process by determining their needs, answering questions, and providing the best medical care possible.
Radiation Therapist Responsibilities:
- Providing individualized radiation therapy treatments to patients, in consultation with the oncology team.
- Explaining the process to patients and answering any questions.
- Administering radiation therapies as per patient treatment plans.
- Using medical imaging equipment to ensure treatments are delivered accurately.
- Assessing patients’ reactions to treatments, providing advice on the side effects of treatments, and methods of alleviating these.
- Monitoring the progress of patients and suggesting amendments to treatment plans, when necessary.
- Providing ongoing support to patients and their families.
- Performing quality assurance tests on simulation and treatment machines to ensure they are in working order.
- Undertaking oncology research in order to improve treatment methods.
Radiation Therapist Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in radiation therapy.
- Experience working as a radiation therapist.
- Good technical skills.
- Proficient in using medical imaging equipment.
- Ability to think critically.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Outstanding hand-eye coordination.
- Ability to empathize with patients while remaining professional.
- Meticulous attention to detail.