Nuclear Engineer Job Description Template
We are looking for a bright nuclear engineer to join our team. As a nuclear engineer, you will be responsible for conducting research and model simulations, designing nuclear components and instruments, and developing systems and procedures for a variety of nuclear applications and technology.
To be successful as a nuclear engineer, you should be highly knowledgeable in nuclear engineering principles and have a strong aptitude for mathematics and physics. A skilled nuclear engineer should be able to work in a variety of nuclear fields and demonstrate precision in their work.
Nuclear Engineer Responsibilities:
- Meeting and collaborating with clients and engineering teams to define project briefs and technical requirements.
- Conducting research, tests, and experiments to determine engineering specifications and methods.
- Designing nuclear software, systems, instruments, equipment, and machinery.
- Running simulations and what-if scenarios to ensure the safety and functionality of designs.
- Developing nuclear hardware and software such as reactor cores, cooling systems, and control mechanisms.
- Creating operational instructions and procedures for nuclear software, equipment, machinery, and systems.
- Overseeing the construction, maintenance, and repairs of nuclear facilities and equipment.
- Monitoring nuclear facilities, machinery, and equipment for malfunctions, defects, or degradation.
- Diagnosing technical malfunctions or safety hazards and implementing interventions.
- Ensuring that all health and safety measures are implemented and enforced.
Nuclear Engineer Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in nuclear engineering.
- Relevant master’s or Ph.D. preferred.
- Professional engineering (PE) license.
- A minimum of four years' experience as a nuclear engineer or similar.
- Programming experience in Python, C++, and MATLAB will be advantageous.
- Knowledge of simulation software such as RELAP5-3D and PyNE.
- A good understanding of nuclear physics, chemistry, and technology.
- Sound knowledge of industry techniques and practices.
- Excellent knowledge of nuclear and radiation safety measures and regulations.
- Exceptional project management skills.