Medical Transcriptionists convert audio recordings made by physicians and other healthcare professionals into written reports. They interpret and transcribe dictated information, perform editing on drafts, and submit completed transcripts for approval by physicians. They may work for hospitals, physicians' offices, or medical administration offices.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Medical Transcriptionist Job Description Template
We are looking for a highly capable Medical Transcriptionist to transcribe voice recordings of medical consultations and procedures. In this role, you will be responsible for transcribing audio files, editing speech recognition transcripts, and formatting transcription reports. You may also be required to enter medical reports into electronic health record systems.
To ensure success, Medical Transcriptionists should demonstrate extensive experience in medical transcription and in-depth familiarity with medical terminology. Outstanding candidates exhibit advanced proficiency in transcribing with specialized equipment and are extremely detail-oriented.
Medical Transcriptionist Responsibilities:
- Listening to the recorded dictation of physicians and other healthcare professionals.
- Using specialized transcription equipment such as headsets and foot pedals.
- Editing and correcting medical dictation performed by speech recognition software.
- Converting transcribed diagnostic test results, procedures, and consultation notes into applicable report formats.
- Ensuring uncompromised patient care by transcribing fast and accurately, as well as performing thorough editing.
- Typing out the full forms of medical abbreviations and acronyms, as well as the formal versions of medical jargon.
- Identifying and following up on inconsistencies, errors, and missing information within a transcribed report.
- Submitting transcriptions to healthcare professionals for their approval in a timely manner.
- Performing additional tasks such as following up and revising patient history, as well as entering medical reports into electronic health records systems.
- Protecting patient confidentiality and adhering to legal requirements.
Medical Transcriptionist Requirements:
- Post-secondary training in Medical Transcription.
- Certification as a Healthcare Documentation Specialist would be advantageous.
- 2-3 years of experience as a Medical Transcriptionist, or similar.
- Proficiency in Electronic Health Record systems, such as AdvancedMD and Kareo Clinical EHR.
- Ability to transcribe accurately and maintain a minimum typing speed of 65 words per minute.
- Experience with specialized transcription equipment and voice recognition software, including WebChartMD and PhraseExpander.
- In-depth knowledge of medical terminology and jargon, as well as editing practice.
- Keen attention to detail in order not to compromise patient care.
- Ability to maintain patient confidentiality and meet legal requirements.
- Exceptional written communication skills and knowledge of medical record formats.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources