Medical Technologist Job Description Template
We are seeking a highly capable medical technologist to conduct medical laboratory tests at our facility. In this role, your duties include performing specialized procedures and analyzing test results, as well as summarizing your findings in reports. You will also be required to maintain laboratory supply inventories.
To ensure success, medical technologists should exhibit sound knowledge of laboratory procedures and demonstrable experience in a medical laboratory environment. Top-notch candidates keep up with advancements in the field of medical laboratory sciences and possess excellent analytical abilities.
Medical Technologist Responsibilities:
- Preparing biological samples for testing, including tissue, blood, urine, spinal fluid, and gastric juices.
- Performing serological, bacteriological, biochemical, hematological, and microbiological examinations on samples.
- Conducting blood group, type, and compatibility tests, as well as full blood counts.
- Counting the cells in prepared samples, as wells as microorganisms, including bacteria or parasites.
- Analyzing biochemical composition and determining the presence of drug chemicals.
- Determining whether sample parameters fall within normal ranges and identifying abnormalities.
- Summarizing results and reporting findings in electronic format to referring physicians and medical specialists, as well as collaborating on patient care.
- Inventorizing laboratory stock and supplies, as well as ordering replenishments.
- Maintaining and calibrating equipment, including analyzers, colorimeters, flame photometers, and spectrophotometers.
- Adhering to best practices in medical laboratory sciences and keeping up with advancements in the field.
Medical Technologist Requirements:
- Bachelor of science degree with a focus on medical technology, Clinical Laboratory Science, or similar.
- Professional American Medical Technologists (AMT) designation preferred.
- 4 years of experience as a medical technologist.
- Proficiency in electronic health record management systems, such as AdvancedMD and eClinicalWorks.
- In-depth knowledge of medical laboratory equipment, techniques, tests, and procedures.
- Advanced knowledge in preparing and analyzing biological samples.
- Proficiency in inventorizing supplies and maintaining laboratory equipment.
- Exceptional ability in summarizing and reporting test results.
- Extensive experience in collaborating with healthcare providers and specialists.
- Knowledge of best practices and advancements in the field of laboratory sciences.