Medical Records Technicians obtain patient information from healthcare professionals and convert the data into permanent medical records. They specialize in standard healthcare coding systems, categorizing medical information, and updating patient records for doctors and insurance companies. They may work in a variety of medical settings.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Medical Records Technician Job Description Template
We are looking for a meticulous Medical Records Technician to accurately create and maintain electronic medical records for our facility. Your duties will include obtaining patient information from healthcare professionals, categorizing conditions, treatments, and diagnoses, as well as creating permanent medical records for reference purposes.
To ensure success as a Medical Records Technician, you should possess knowledge of electronic health record management systems and demonstrate experience in a similar role. Ultimately, a top-notch Medical Records Technician is someone who can be entrusted with the responsibility of converting patient history into accurate medical records.
Medical Records Technician Responsibilities:
- Contributing to improved and cost-effective patient care by creating permanent medical records.
- Transcribing medical data from doctors' written or spoken notes, including symptoms, possible diagnoses, prescribed medications, and tests.
- Categorizing conditions, treatments, and diagnoses using standardized healthcare codes and software programs.
- Entering and updating medical records for healthcare professionals' and insurance companies' reference.
- Collaborating with healthcare providers to ensure the accuracy of medical records.
- Updating medical records in a timely manner.
- Ensuring that patient data and medical records are protected and remain confidential.
Medical Records Technician Requirements:
- Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT).
- PAHCS or similar healthcare coding certification would be advantageous.
- 1-2 years of experience in a similar role.
- Knowledge of electronic medical record management systems, such as RXNT and AdvancedMD.
- Extensive experience in categorizing and coding written and spoken patient information.
- Proficiency in medical terminology and collaborating with healthcare professionals.
- Ability to maintain and update medical records in a timely manner.
- Experience in data encryption and protection.
- Advanced ability to perform detailed tasks under pressure.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources