Medical Office Specialist Job Description Template
We are looking for a highly capable and personable medical office specialist to assist us with day-to-day administrative tasks at our healthcare facility. In this role, you will be responsible for scheduling appointments, obtaining patient information, and verifying medical insurance information.
To ensure success, the medical office specialist should possess extensive experience in medical office administration and the ability to interact with patients. A first-class medical office specialist should be an administrative expert who can create an efficient and patient-centered environment.
Medical Office Specialist Responsibilities:
- Answering calls, as well as welcoming and assisting patients and visitors.
- Scheduling and confirming appointments, tests, treatments, and other procedures.
- Obtaining and updating patients' personal and health information.
- Creating and maintaining electronic health records.
- Preparing patients' files for consultation and evaluation.
- Managing inquiries and relaying messages about scheduling, referrals, and prescription refills.
- Verifying medical insurance information, as well as mediating between patients and medical insurers.
- Collecting co-payments from patients and following up on medical insurance claims.
- Entering payment information into an electronic billing system.
- Maintaining an office supply inventory and replenishing stock in a timely manner.
Medical Office Specialist Requirements:
- Administrative medical assistant certification, or similar.
- Proficiency in integrated electronic health record and medical billing software, such as QuickPractice and Medisoft.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in a similar role.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology and inventory management.
- Extensive experience in maintaining patient files and updating electronic health records.
- Experience in processing payments and medical insurance claims.
- Exceptional ability to create a welcoming and patient-centered environment.
- Ability to answer calls, schedule appointments, obtain patient information, and relay messages.
- Ability to verify medical insurance information.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.