Medical secretaries take patient's basic medical histories, arrange for patients to be hospitalized, and process insurance payments. They also prepare articles and reports, and transcribe dictation for physicians and other medical workers. They are sometimes known as a medical receptionist, medical administrative assistant, hospital unit secretary,
Medical Secretary Job Description Template
We are looking for a Medical Secretary to be responsible for administrative duties within our facility. You will be in charge of handling patient schedules, taking phone calls, and ensuring that patients receive excellent customer service overall. You will also be assisting with managing medical billing when necessary.
To be successful in this role, you will need prior experience in handling electronic medical records. Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications such as Word and Excel is also a huge advantage.
Medical Secretary Responsibilities:
- Schedule, reschedule and cancel appointments.
- Take phone calls from patients, labs, and physicians.
- Documents in telephone notes and assigns to proper staff.
- Ensure health care patients receive excellent customer service.
- Update management on physician schedule changes for vacations, meetings etc.
- Check voicemails and respond to phone calls.
- Contact patients and schedule overdue appointments.
- Call patients to remind them of upcoming appointments.
- Comply with office policy and procedures.
- Assist in managing medical billing.
Medical Secretary Requirements:
- Experience with electronic medical records.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Experience as a Medical Secretary.
- Degree from approved medical administrative program or equivalent.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.