Magazine Editor Job Description Template
We are looking to hire a Magazine Editor with outstanding writing, editing and creative skills. Magazine Editors are expected to possess fantastic planning, organizational and staff management skills with the ability to work comfortably under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
To ensure success, Magazine Editors should demonstrate a superb command of English with a keen interest in shaping a publication to distinguish the content to its target audience. Top candidates will display a great understanding of target audiences, and exhibit remarkable negotiation and decision-making skills.
Magazine Editor Responsibilities:
- Generate story ideas for writing staff.
- Manage writing staff and freelance content producers.
- Approve content, appearance and layout of featured articles.
- Oversee photography, design and artwork to be used in the publication.
- Meet with writers and artists to discuss features, layouts and artwork.
- Comply with media law and industry regulations.
- Send regular briefs to writers that include deadlines, writing style and fees.
- Network actively at industry events.
- Commission articles from writing staff and freelance content producers.
- Proofread, edit and rewrite articles to meet publication standards.
- Attend photo shoots.
- Actively raise the profile of the publication.
- Assist all staff to meet deadlines.
Magazine Editor Requirements:
- Bachelors degree in Communications/Journalism or related (essential).
- 3 years of work experience as a Magazine Editor.
- Demonstrable experience in producing relevant content to target audiences.
- Strong writing, editing and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to nurture long-term relationships with key publication influencers.
- Analytical thinker with strong conceptual and research skills.
- Good understanding of Content Management Systems (CMS).
- Natural leader who displays strong decision-making and attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Ability to understand and influence target audiences.