Linguist Job Description Template
We are searching for a detail-oriented linguist to join our team. The linguist’s responsibilities include completing all tasks allocated by the client, which may include completing interpretations of spoken and written language, analyzing texts, audio, and visual recordings, as well as conducting research and interviews. You should be able to train junior linguists and deliver presentations if required.
To be successful as a linguist, you should have keen observational powers and be acutely aware of how language and culture intersect. Outstanding candidates understand how language is affected by culture, race, religion, and economic factors, and they are also able to identify patterns and process data.
- Understanding job or client specifications and completing all language translations, interpretations, analyses, and research accordingly.
- Identifying and making sense of language patterns.
- Completing accurate transcriptions of audio recordings and tabulating data.
- Analyzing documents and texts and translating complex information into simple language.
- Studying languages, cultures, and societies in order to draft national and school language policies.
- Collaborating with other Linguists and discovering and documenting the origins of words and the authenticity of texts.
- Providing translation and interpretation services to the government, military, and other private and public sectors.
- Keeping abreast of new research and developments that influence language.
- Training, recruiting, and supervising junior Linguists.
- Attending conferences, lectures, and workshops to expand your skillset and professional networks.
- A bachelor’s degree in linguistics, or a related discipline.
- A master’s or Ph.D. is preferable.
- Additional language courses are recommended.
- Proficiency in two or more languages.
- Practical experience with translation and transcription software, as well as MS Office.
- Superb language fluency.
- Excellent organization, communication, and active listening skills.
- A passion for language and lifelong learning.