High School Athletic Director Job Description Template
We are looking for a detail-oriented, organized individual to join our staff as our high school athletic director. The responsibilities of the high school athletic director include organizing sports functions, hiring and mentoring coaches, overseeing sports facilities, and managing the sports department.
To be a successful high school athletic director, you should be passionate about sports and education and have a keen understanding of the development of young athletes. Ultimately, a top-notch high school athletic director should be energetic and detail-oriented with good leadership and communication skills.
High School Athletic Director Responsibilities:
- Reserving fields and scheduling and overseeing sports functions.
- Arranging travel logistics for all sports teams to attend away games.
- Hiring and mentoring coaches for all sports teams and managing the athletics department.
- Maintaining and overseeing the athletic and sports facilities.
- Buying athletic equipment and ensuring they are maintained.
- Building community relations and handling media inquiries.
- Developing and implementing processes and procedures for the athletics department to ensure the school remains compliant with athletic rules and regulations.
- Planning fundraising events and managing the athletics department's budget.
- Ensuring both boys' and girls' sports teams receive the same amount of attention and dedication.
High School Athletic Director Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in sports management, athletic administration, or a related field.
- Teaching certification.
- In-depth working knowledge of all sports, including football, basketball, wrestling, golf, swimming, etc.
- Passion for sports and education.
- Keen understanding of how young athletes should be developed.
- Strong organizational, leadership, and communication skills.