Heavy Equipment Mechanics are specialized industry mechanics who service and repair large machinery for the farming, construction, mining, and railway industry. They use their knowledge of diesel engines and large machinery to inspect, service, and repair engines and equipment out in the field.
When interviewing Heavy Equipment Mechanics, the most suitable candidate will be physically strong, show extensive knowledge of large diesel engines, and be able to service or repair any sized engine out in the field. Avoid candidates who have limited experience with construction equipment or those that cannot work after hours when required.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Interview Questions for Heavy Equipment Mechanics:
1. How do you diagnose malfunctions in large trucks or construction machines?
Indicates knowledge of computer testing systems and experience in the field.
2. What was the biggest repair job you completed on a job site?
Shows the full capabilities of what the candidate can achieve.
3. What procedures do you use to conduct a routine engine service?
Displays the candidate’s knowledge of mechanical best practices.
4. What do you think is the most challenging part of completing an engine overhaul?
Displays knowledge of engine design and highlights potential weaknesses.
5. What would you do if you could not find out why a crane had a hydraulic malfunction?
Indicates the candidate’s willingness to ask for additional help and troubleshoot as a team.
Similar Interview Questions
Related Hiring Resources