Graduate Assistant Interview Questions:
1. What experiences have prepared you for the role of graduate assistant?
Candidates should cite leadership positions in student societies where they played an active role in student life as helpful experiences.
2. A professor requires information for a paper he is writing. Where do you look?
Candidates should describe how they would use library and internet resources to find relevant information. Look for candidates who find creative ways of obtaining information.
3. What, in your opinion, is the most important quality in a graduate assistant?
Candidates should list good leadership and communicative ability as the most important qualities in a graduate assistant.
4. A residence assistant needs your advice to solve a building conflict. What do you tell him/her?
Candidates should advise the resident assistant to listen to both sides of the conflict, remind students of the rules of the hall and institute corrective action according to residence guidelines.
5. Describe a time when you made a mistake in your duties. How did you rectify it?
Candidates should acknowledge the importance of diligence in their duties. Look for stories where candidates erred, rectified their error and learned a valuable lesson from the experience.