Game designers create the rules, characters, settings, stories, and props for new games, and use computer programming languages to write the required code. They may also manage project teams and test early versions of the games.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Game Designer Job Description Template
We are looking for a game designer with a passion for all genres of games, a knack for coding and storytelling, and an understanding of the industry, market and target audiences. Game designers can expect to manage teams of programmers, artists, animators and sound engineers, as well as plan schedules and work with budgets. Their responsibilities also include developing design and gaming protocols, defining game-play mechanics, coordinating with other game designers, ensuring quality, and meeting with company executives.
To be a successful game designer, you should have exceptional coding skills, no problems with working long hours under pressure, a yearning for making games that are original and groundbreaking, and a love for the process. Ideal candidates will have experience in game design, knowledge of computer systems and languages, excellent communication and collaboration skills.
Game Designer Responsibilities:
- Creating innovative games for entertainment or education purposes.
- Conceptualizing and developing characters, rules, settings and stories for new games.
- Pitching new game ideas to executives and clients.
- Managing multiple teams and projects.
- Prototyping new games.
- Following industry trends and good practices.
- Monitoring work and cash flows.
- Developing design and gaming protocols.
- Doing quality control.
Game Designer Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in game design, computer science or computer engineering.
- Enthusiasm and knowledge of the industry.
- Relevant certification in programming languages.
- Portfolio of sample projects.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources