Funeral Attendant Job Description Template
We are searching for a compassionate funeral attendant to assist with the progression of funeral services or wakes and help bereaved families during these ceremonies. The funeral attendant will assist with transporting the deceased to the funeral home and overseeing the gravesite and chapel.
To be successful in this position, you should be comfortable working around the deceased. Top applicants should have explicit knowledge of cultural funeral practices and should be able to coordinate intricate, laborious tasks with accuracy.
Funeral Attendant Responsibilities:
- Transporting the deceased to the funeral home.
- Preparing the parlor or chapel by cleaning, setting up lights and chairs, and arranging flowers for viewings and services.
- Assisting guests arriving at funerals by showing them where to park and leading them to the parlor or chapel area.
- Ensuring adherence to the funeral wishes of the bereaved family.
- Driving the hearse to the gravesite, chapel, or parlor.
- Overseeing the digging and closing of the grave.
- Obtaining burial permits and registering deaths with the state.
- Managing the funeral home finances, receiving payments, and performing general bookkeeping duties.
- Assisting families with completion of paperwork, such as insurance claim forms.
- Cleaning funeral equipment.
Funeral Attendant Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Extensive knowledge of religious, cultural, and custom burial practices.
- Ability to lift at least 75 pounds.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Availability to work nights, weekends, and holidays and to be on call.
- Attention to detail and excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrable empathy and exceptional customer service skills.
- Outstanding problem-solving skills.