Financial Counselors work for hospitals where they provide patients with cost estimates prior to admission and advise them on paying for services. A Financial Counselor acts as a liaison between the hospital and the patient, and collects payments.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Financial Counselor Job Description Template
We are looking for a meticulous, helpful Financial Counselor to assist patients with cost estimates, and to collaborate with external parties to ensure their financial coverage. The Financial Counselor will explain financial information, determine prospective patients’ ability to pay, provide education on free health care and Medicaid, and assist with the application process. You will educate patients on their financial obligations to the facility, and follow up with patients and other parties to ensure accuracy and completeness of information.
To ensure success you need to be knowledgeable regarding payment options and processes, and have the ability to explain these to patients. Ideal candidates are customer-focused and have the ability to multitask with interruptions in a fast-paced environment.
Financial Counselor Responsibilities:
- Attending and participating in meetings, training and presentations.
- Completing financial applications.
- Furnishing patients and health care providers with estimates.
- Assisting patients with financial applications and arrangements.
- Collecting estimated liabilities from patients.
- Establishing health insurance benefits, conditions and requirements by making phone inquiries, and by using eligibility systems and the internet.
- Verifying patients’ employment details and other particulars.
- Reporting problems and concerns to supervisor.
- Complying with relevant rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Financial Counselor Requirements:
- High School Diploma, GED, or suitable equivalent.
- 2+ years work experience in customer service or related field.
- Proficient knowledge of medical terminology, billing practices and coding.
- Proficient computer skills.
- Proficient with MS Office Suites.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Proficient mathematical skills.
- Outstanding people skills.
- Strong organizational skills.