Equipment Operators control machinery used during the construction process. They typically report to the Foreman. Equipment Operators may be trained to use bulldozers, pavers, excavators, rollers, trenchers, compactors, as well as a range of other construction machinery.
When interviewing Equipment Operators, the best candidates should demonstrate great listening skills and a concern for the wellbeing of others. Be wary of candidates who are not team players and who demonstrate a poor understanding of workplace safety.
Interview Questions for Equipment Operators:
1. Can you describe how you would inspect a machine before using it?
Demonstrates knowledge of trade and implementation of safety regulations.
2. How do you prepare yourself before using an unfamiliar piece of equipment?
Tests experience level and willingness to learn.
3. How do you ensure you stay alert while working long shifts?
Tests mental and physical fitness, as well as coping strategies.
4. How would you relay instructions to crew members at a loud construction site?
Reveals communication, management, and problem-solving skills.
5. Describe a time when you misunderstood an instruction. How did you handle this?
Reveals communication skills, level of accountability, and highlights potential weaknesses.
Similar Interview Questions
Related Hiring Resources