Doula Job Description Template
We are searching for a reliable, trustworthy doula to join our team. The doula’s responsibilities include providing emotional and physical support to the mother, educating her on techniques that increase comfort, and patiently answering questions and addressing concerns. You should be a good active listener and someone who can provide advice without being squeamish or overly sensitive.
To be successful as a doula, you should have a natural ability to nurture and guide. Outstanding candidates are patient, forthcoming, and able to provide practical advice as well as kind words of support.
- Providing the mother with emotional, physical, moral, and educational support, especially during times when the father and other close relatives are unavailable.
- Listening to the concerns and questions of the mother in a kind, non-judgemental way and offering the best possible advice.
- Attending prenatal meetings to get to know the mother and establish her birth preferences and other requirements.
- Remaining with the mother throughout labor and providing physical and emotional support during and after childbirth.
- Visiting the home of the mother once she has been discharged and assisting with the care of the baby while the mother heals.
- Providing practical support and advice to the mother after childbirth, like organizing the nursery, running errands, and assisting with breastfeeding and meal preparation.
- Keeping up to date on childbirth support, birthing techniques, and pre and post-natal care by conducting research, networking with other Doulas and mothers, and attending workshops and lectures.
- Assisting in whatever way possible to make the transition to motherhood easier.
- Extensive childbirth experience.
- Relevant certification might be required.
- A calming and nurturing presence.
- The ability to answer questions and provide guidance in a non-judgemental way.
- A wealth of knowledge on childbirth and pre and post-natal care.
- The ability to remain calm, multitask and provide emotional support.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills.