Design directors work with creative teams to design and produce the visual layout for a variety of media, including magazines and websites. They work in a wide range of creative fields, such as advertising, marketing, interior design, and entertainment.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Design Director Job Description Template
We are looking for a creative, innovative design director to join our team. The responsibilities of the design director include interpreting client briefs and turning them into creative solutions, delivering high-quality products, overseeing design teams, and trouble-shooting design problems.
To be a successful design director, you should be able to adhere to tight deadlines and manage budget constraints to deliver a great product and experience. Ultimately, a top-notch design director should have strong communication, leadership, and analytical skills.
Design Director Responsibilities:
- Hiring, developing, and inspiring the design team, or selecting a design team from existing company employees.
- Meeting with clients to discuss their needs and the design elements they want.
- Interpreting abstract business concepts and client briefs and turning them into creative ideas.
- Developing strategic design plans with projected timelines and budgets.
- Creating storyboards and mockups for clients and the design team to visualize the completed project.
- Pitching ideas and the creative vision to the client and communicating the project outline to the design team.
- Choosing the design elements for different projects.
- Overseeing the design projects, from start to finish, and monitoring the staff members to ensure they adhere to the budget and timeline constraints.
- Reviewing feedback from clients and making alterations according to the clients' needs.
- Analyzing market research to create more effective designs.
Design Director Requirements:
- A Bachelor's or Associate's degree in graphic design, fine arts, advertising, or a related field.
- A minimum of five years' managerial or senior-level design experience.
- Strong creativity skills and the vision to turn briefs into creative projects.
- In-depth knowledge of graphic design and CAD tools.
- Excellent leadership, organization, and analytical skills.
- Good collaboration and communication skills.
- Great time management and multi-tasking skills.
- Ability to resolve complex design and communication issues.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources