Crime Analyst Job Description Template
We are searching for a well-organized crime analyst to join our police force in the fight against crime. As a crime analyst, your duties will include gathering and analyzing data, conducting research, preparing reports, and developing crime prevention plans. You may also be required to interview community members, police officers, and suspects.
Top-notch crime analysts will have a sound understanding of the law and be quick to recognize patterns. Ideal candidates will be resourceful, resilient, and able to conduct rigorous data analyses.
Crime Analyst Responsibilities:
- Collecting and analyzing data to determine trends in criminal activity.
- Conducting interviews with patrol officers, investigators, detectives, community members, witnesses, criminals, and possible suspects.
- Visiting crime scenes to collect evidence such as DNA samples and photographs.
- Liaising with a variety of professionals when required.
- Using police reports, statistics, and criminal trends to write up detailed reports.
- Working with other law enforcement personnel to develop and implement crime prevention strategies.
- Attending workshops and completing additional courses to keep abreast of technological advancements in the field.
- Cooperating with law enforcement, which may include providing court testimonies and participating in raids.
Crime Analyst Requirements:
- A bachelor's or associate’s degree in criminal justice or a related discipline.
- The ability to pass a background check and/or polygraph.
- Prior law enforcement experience may be preferred.
- Familiarity with software such as LexisNexis Community Crime Map, ShopSpotter Missions, and Lynx Sentinel.
- Strong analytical and logical thinking skills.
- Superb attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Resilience and self-discipline.
- A strong moral and ethical code.
- Great report writing and presentation skills.