Also known as a municipal clerk or city secretary, a City Clerk works for the city council where they perform a range of clerical duties and legal requirements, such as recording the minutes of council meetings, filing municipal records, and drafting agendas.
City Clerk Job Description Template
We are looking to hire a motivated and experienced City Clerk to plan, manage and coordinate clerical duties within the city council. You will be responsible for recording minutes of council meetings, recording and maintaining all municipal documents, preparing meeting agendas, storing financial records and issuing public correspondence.
To excel in this role, you will need to have proven experience in collating and maintaining records and legal documents, working knowledge of relevant computer systems, and an understanding of federal, state and local laws. A minimum of five years' experience as a city clerk with clerical and supervisory experience is required.
City Clerk Responsibilities:
- Record, edit and distribute minutes of council meetings.
- Communicate effectively with management, government officials and staff.
- Act as a liaison between the City Council and the public.
- Draft meeting agendas and bylaws.
- Record data and ensure that documents are stored, filed and maintained correctly.
- Utilize computer databases and software.
- Prepare and maintain official reports, legal documents, financial records, and reference material.
- Coordinate municipal elections.
- Transcribe, type and proofread documents.
- Distribute public correspondence and ensure that municipal records are accessible to the public.
City Clerk Requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration or related field.
- Previous experience preferred.
- Computer skills and knowledge of software applications.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Time management and organizational skills.
- Compliance with all federal, state and local laws and regulations.