Church Custodians clean and handle basic repairs for all public-facing areas area of the church, including the sanctuary, bathrooms, meeting areas, and offices. These workers may also be known as Church Janitors or Parish Custodians.
Church Custodian Job Description Template
We are looking for a proactive, efficient Church Custodian who possesses an understanding of proper cleaning methods and a respect for the religious and cultural beliefs of others. The Church Custodian will ensure that all publicly accessible areas of the church are clean and ready for other staff members and the congregation to use. You will make minor repairs, change light bulbs, vacuum, sweep, and scrub floors, sanitize surfaces, and restock items, such as toilet paper, paper towels, and other supplies. You may also maintain supply inventory, submit purchase requests, and assist with preparations for events, such as weddings or funerals.
To be a successful Church Custodian, you should be observant, respectful, motivated, and committed to providing church members, visitors, and staff with a clean, orderly place to worship and congregate. You should also be knowledgeable about proper chemical handling and cleaning techniques and have the ability to make basic repairs, including plumbing and electrical work.
Church Custodian Responsibilities:
- Maintaining clean church facilities by performing weekly duties and daily spot cleaning in all public areas of the building, including bathrooms, sanctuary, kitchens, and meeting rooms.
- Working with other maintenance team members and church staff to ensure that all areas are cleaned and stocked with necessary items.
- Observing proper chemical handling procedures when working with cleaning agents, including wearing gloves, goggles, or masks and following written or verbal instructions.
- Performing maintenance, such as changing light bulbs and restocking bathrooms, and making repairs.
- Assisting with event preparations and clean up.
- Taking inventory of cleaners and other supplies and submitting requests when items need to be replenished.
- Interacting with church staff and visitors in a respectful, positive manner.
Church Custodian Requirements:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Custodial experience or training may be required.
- Understanding of cleaning techniques and safety procedures.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs and pass a background check and pre-employment drug screening.
- Some churches may give preference to members.
- Strong communication, comprehension, and interpersonal skills.
- Flexibility to adjust their schedule to suit the needs of the church.
- Motivation to work independently or with others to provide thorough, efficient custodial services to the church.
Church Custodian FAQ:
What does a church custodian do?
The church custodian handles many of the janitorial duties and responsibilities and performs basic maintenance for the church. Add your desired custodian duties and skills to with our sample church custodian job description to create a custom job listing.
What are some of the job titles I could use for a church custodian?
A church custodian job title may vary between churches. They may also be known as church janitors or maintenance workers. Try including these job titles in your listing when you post a church custodian job to make it easier for potential applicants to find you!
Can I customize your church janitorial job description template?
When you advertise a church custodian job, you should provide applicants with information about the duties they’ll perform and the skills your company needs. Feel free to customize any section of our church custodian job description sample to create a listing that works for you.
Do you have custodial interview questions?
We have interview questions to go with all of our job descriptions.
After you have reviewed our church custodian job description summary and created a listing for your company, take a look at our church custodian interview questions.