Also called Heads of Surgery, Chief Surgeons are experienced medical professionals who fill leadership roles. They supervise surgical departments, carry out managerial duties, educate trainees, and assist during surgeries. Chief Surgeons also control financial resources, establish quality standards, and recruit new staff.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Chief Surgeon Job Description Template
We are searching for a driven Chief Surgeon to join our excellent hospital. The Chief Surgeon will manage surgical departments, hold meetings with staff, allocate resources, and help prepare budgets. You will use your extensive knowledge and expertise to assist with surgeries, train recruits, and improve operations at the healthcare facility.
To be successful as a Chief Surgeon, you should be able to make decisions under pressure, juggle multiple responsibilities, and effectively manage your time. Outstanding candidates are highly skilled professionals with superb analytical as well as active listening skills.
Chief Surgeon Responsibilities:
- Establishing policies, quality standards, and regulations, and ensuring all staff adhere to them.
- Supervising various surgical departments and teams.
- Allocating resources and assisting with the preparation of budgets.
- Screening, interviewing, and recruiting new doctors.
- Providing new staff with training, support, and scheduling workshops were required.
- Addressing all surgery-related as well as departmental complaints and issues.
- Conducting surgeries and advising on medical cases where required.
- Supervising continuing education programs and forwarding information about conferences and other learning opportunities to colleagues.
- Setting goals and helping colleagues achieve them.
- Keeping abreast of developments in the medical field and constantly expanding professional networks.
Chief Surgeon Requirements:
- A Doctorate in Surgery or a surgical discipline.
- A completed residency and several years of practical experience.
- Experience in a managerial or administrative role is highly recommended.
- Strong analytical skills and a keen eye for detail.
- Leadership experience.
- Superb surgical and diagnostic skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Resilience and a positive attitude.
- The ability to work long hours and make decisions in a fast-paced environment.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources