Interview Questions for Category Managers:
1. Can you give us an idea of what you consider to be an excellent example of category management in the market right now?
Provides insight into the candidate's understanding of the process and industry.
2. Can you tell us about a marketing plan you championed in your last position?
Reveals the candidate's past work experience and their most recent project.
3. What indicators in our sales data would you look at first when planning out a new category management approach?
Explains how the candidate approaches analysis and produces relevant insights.
4. How would you handle a difficult retail client assigned to your account?
Tests the candidate's ability to represent the interests of the business in a difficult position.
5. What changes would you make to our current category marketing strategies to improve sales in the long-term?
Tests the candidate's ability to think on-the-go and to adapt their thinking to a specific situation.