Bookbinders are responsible for finishing and binding books, magazines, brochures, and calendars. Once the product comes off the printer, Bookbinders cut, assemble, glue, and stitch the papers together according to desired specifications.
Bookbinder Job Description Template
We are looking for a skilled Bookbinder to join our production team. As a Bookbinder, you will be responsible for cutting and assembling printed components to form finished book products. You may also be required to stamp covers and pack books into shipment boxes.
To ensure success as a Bookbinder, you should have excellent fine-motor skills, a talent for artistic design, and a keen eye for detail. A top-class Bookbinder expertly translates the ideas of the book designer into an attractive and functional product.
- Meeting with the book designers to discuss final product specifications.
- Cutting papers to size using hand and machine cutting tools.
- Gluing and stitching components into the cover using manually operated machines.
- Attaching endpapers to the body of the book.
- Trimming book edges to size.
- Applying color to signatures and edges.
- Cutting and attaching outside cover material to the board cover.
- Gluing outside endpapers to the final cover.
- Placing finished books into press until drying is complete.
- Weighing and stacking books for shipment.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Previous work experience as a Bookbinder.
- Creative design skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent fine-motor skills.
- Detailed knowledge of book composition materials.
- Ability to operate hand and machine cutting tools.
- Ability to operate presses and manipulating tools.
- Ability to work to a strict deadline.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources