Vice Chancellor Job Description Template
We are searching for a resilient vice chancellor to lead our excellent academic institution. As the vice chancellor, your responsibilities will include serving on councils, supervising academic planning, attending various meetings, and more. You should have a good grasp of university operations and be able to propose solutions to complex problems.
To be successful as a vice chancellor, you should be able to address audiences and engage with a range of professionals. Outstanding vice chancellors should be active listeners who are able to make difficult decisions.
Vice Chancellor Responsibilities:
- Serving on several councils and providing valuable input as well as listening to colleagues’ suggestions.
- Reviewing academic programs, budgets, and policies, and improving upon them.
- Maintaining positive relationships with other academic institutions, organizations, and the broader community.
- Allocating resources fairly and securing grants.
- Supervising staff and addressing any performance issues.
- Handling a range of administrative duties, including preparing reports.
- Attending academic conferences and other events.
- Building networks with other academics and institutions.
- Delivering speeches at events such as graduations and open days.
- Ensuring university standards are maintained and that academic freedom is protected.
Vice Chancellor Requirements:
- A Ph.D. in your chosen discipline.
- Extensive academic, teaching, and managerial experience.
- A good record of scholarship.
- The ability to work with people from a wide range of backgrounds.
- The ability to solve complex problems.
- Superb active listening, communication, and presentation skills.
- The ability to think on your feet and talk to the press.
- A personable and professional manner.
- Excellent networking and administrative skills.