UNIX System Administrators install, configure, and maintain computer systems and servers running on UNIX. They form an integral part of the IT team and respond to server breakdowns, user issues, and network errors.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
UNIX System Administrator Job Description Template
We are looking for an experienced UNIX System Administrator to join our IT department. As a Unix System Administrator, you will be responsible for the installation, configuration, and maintenance of our UNIX systems. In this role, you will troubleshoot server errors, install new system hardware, respond to user issues, and monitor the performance of the network.
To ensure success as a UNIX System Administrator, you should have in-depth knowledge of UNIX operating systems, excellent troubleshooting skills, and high-level knowledge of computer hardware. A skilled UNIX System Administrator will ensure the smooth running of the company’s computer system and quickly respond to breakdowns and software issues.
UNIX System Administrator Responsibilities:
- Installing and upgrading UNIX system software on company servers and computers.
- Creating UNIX file systems.
- Setting up and maintaining UNIX user accounts and access management systems.
- Implementing network and computer system policies.
- Detecting and troubleshooting software and hardware issues.
- Responding to user requests and software errors.
- Monitoring the performance of the system and server.
- Creating backup and recovery policies.
- Setting up and monitoring security policies.
- Applying patches and upgrades when necessary.
UNIX System Administrator Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or similar field.
- Previous experience as a UNIX System Administrator.
- Knowledge of UNIX and LINUX operating systems, storage environments, file systems, and network protocols.
- Detailed knowledge of UNIX principles, file editing, UNIX commands, and file manipulation.
- Familiarity with Windows, UNIX, LINUX, and LINUX shell scripting.
- Knowledge of networking principles including routing, subnets, TCP, IP, VLANs, and UDP.
- Understanding of backup procedures and storage management.
- In-depth knowledge of computer hardware systems including circuit boards, memory modules, and processors.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources