Typists are responsible for typing documents and written materials for a range of companies. They use word processors to compile reports, record meeting minutes, and transcribe handwritten or audio material into digital form. They also proofread writing for errors, manage document filing systems, and assist with a variety of clerical duties.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Typist job Description Template
We are seeking a detail-oriented typist to join our company. As a typist, you will be required to type up company documents from written media and audio recordings, record meeting minutes and notes, and check all written documents for errors. You will also be required to draft documents and perform a variety of clerical duties.
To be a successful typist, you should have a keen eye for detail and possess fast typing abilities. Ultimately, a top-notch typist should be able to spot grammatical errors quickly and have experience with a variety of documents and word processing software.
- Typing up company documents from dictation, audio recordings, written documents, and other media.
- Recording meeting minutes and notes.
- Drafting documents, reports, spreadsheets, presentations, and other written material.
- Reformatting, converting, and merging documents to conform to company specifications.
- Transcribing handwritten documents and audio recordings to digital documents.
- Proofreading completed work and correcting spelling, punctuation, and grammatical errors.
- Managing and maintaining the physical and digital document filing system.
- Performing general office duties such as copying, scanning, printing, and answering phone calls and emails, among others.
- Ensuring that the office supplies are maintained and informing the supervisor of any issues or requirements.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Prior experience as a typist or data entry clerk is preferable.
- Typing speed of 50-80 words per minute.
- The ability to type from dictation.
- Proficiency in office software such as MS Word, Excel, and Google Docs.
- A keen eye for detail and the ability to spot spelling and grammar errors.
- Excellent vocabulary and command of the English language.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with paper and digital document filing systems.
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources