Tunnel Engineer Job Description Template
We are looking for a skilled tunnel engineer to join our engineering team for the next big tunneling project. As a tunnel engineer, you will be responsible for planning, designing, and managing all aspects of the tunnel building project. In this role, you will be required to plan out the tunneling phases, calculate project specifications, and monitor on-site progress.
To ensure success as a tunnel engineer, you should have extensive experience with civil engineering and tunnel design, in-depth knowledge of construction techniques, and excellent project management skills. A top-notch tunnel engineer can visualize the complete tunnel structure and accurately determine the engineering requirements to complete the project.
Tunnel Engineer Responsibilities:
- Meeting with the engineering team to discuss the scope and scale of the project.
- Creating rough draft designs and listing possible engineering tasks.
- Finalizing the tunnel design and managing all engineering tasks.
- Assisting with the drafting of IDRIS Preliminary Design Reports.
- Obtaining the necessary permits and approvals for the project.
- Developing tender documents for the project.
- Assisting with the qualification of potential contractors.
- Providing contractors with technical drawings and engineering documents.
- Conducting on-site safety and progress inspections.
- Providing program support and resolving construction issues.
Tunnel Engineer Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, geotechnical engineering, or similar field.
- Proven work experience as a tunnel engineer.
- Experience with tunnel construction in hard and soft rock conditions.
- In-depth knowledge of NATM and TBM excavation techniques.
- Knowledge of trenchless construction.
- Detailed knowledge of geology and structural engineering.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Proficient with CAD and AutoCAD design software.
- Strong attention to detail and excellent problem-solving skills.