Civil Engineers are responsible for constructing, improving, and protecting our immediate environment, such as roads, bridges, and other infrastructure. Successful candidates will be critical thinkers, analytical, and excellent communicators. Avoid candidates who seem insecure, disorganized, and struggle to perform under pressure.
Interview Questions for Civil Engineers
1. What is the biggest project you have worked on?
Provides insight into the scope of the candidate’s experience.
2. Give us an example of a process you have improved. How did this improvement benefit the company?
Shows the candidate's ability to assess structural processes and to come up with innovative solutions.
3. How would you pitch a creative solution to a client who is set in their ways?
Demonstrates the applicant’s communicative abilities.
4. Can you tell us about the teams you have led on projects?
Gives insight into the size of the team the candidate is comfortable managing, shows if the candidate has experience managing a group of diverse individuals, and provides further information about the candidate's leadership experience.
5. Can you describe how you would ensure that safety regulations are adhered to on a project?
Demonstrates the candidate's knowledge of safety regulations, their attitude towards industry regulations, and their ability to command a team.