Structural Engineer Job Description Template
We are looking to hire a structural engineer with excellent mathematical, IT, and analytical skills. Structural engineers are expected to be detail-oriented, creative, and possess amazing problem-solving skills.
To ensure success, structural engineers should display an investigative nature and must be accurate, commercially aware, and have great communication skills with a keen interest in ensuring the safety and physical integrity of buildings and other large structures. Top candidates will have a fantastic project and budget management skills with great knowledge of construction processes, materials, and legal regulations.
Structural Engineer Responsibilities:
- Prepare reports, designs, and drawings.
- Make calculations about pressures, loads, and stresses.
- Consider the strength of construction materials and select appropriately.
- Provide technical advice on safe designs and construction.
- Obtain planning and/or building regulations approval.
- Analyze configurations of the basic components of a structure.
- Liaise with professional staff such as architects and engineers.
- Monitor and inspect all work undertaken by contractors to ensure structural soundness.
- Administer contracts and manage projects.
- Inspect properties to evaluate the conditions and foundations.
- Use computer-aided design technology for simulation purposes.
Structural Engineer Requirements:
- Degree in civil or structural engineering (essential).
- 6 years of work experience as a structural engineer (essential).
- Professionally registered with the Institute of structural engineers.
- Expert experience in project management.
- Advanced knowledge of construction methods, materials, and legal regulations.
- Sound understanding of physics and mathematics.
- Ability to liaise with professionals from other disciplines.
- Three-dimensional conceptual skills.
- Analytical thinker with strong problem-solving skills.
- Meticulous attention to detail with superb organizational skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent communication and IT skills.