Truck Dispatchers schedule freight deliveries and arrange pickups of shipments and parcels. Their duties include scheduling truck drivers, relaying shipment details as arranged with customers, and setting up drivers' routes. Truck Dispatchers are also required to review truck drivers' logs.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Truck Dispatcher Job Description Template
We are looking for a detail-oriented Truck Dispatcher to dispatch our drivers to customer locations. In this role, your duties will include communicating with our customers to record their requirements, planning and adjusting routes, as well as scheduling drivers to deliver or collect freight, shipments, and packages.
To ensure success as a Truck Dispatcher, you should exhibit extensive experience in dispatching trucks and the ability to work under pressure. Ultimately, an outstanding Truck Dispatcher is someone whose organizational skills translate into exceptional freight delivery services.
Truck Dispatcher Responsibilities:
- Scheduling drivers to make freight deliveries or collect shipments and packages.
- Communicating with customers about freight details, delivery or pickup times, and special handling requests.
- Planning pre-determined routes and accommodating route changes as needed.
- Preparing dispatch documents, as well as generating freight bills and invoices.
- Maintaining records of dispatched calls, driver routes, route changes, as well as delivery and pickup times.
- Keeping track of transportation regulations and laws to ensure that truck drivers comply.
- Reviewing drivers’ logs, including dispatched calls and arrival times.
- Monitoring truck repairs and maintenance schedules.
- Logging customer shipping schedules and complaints.
Truck Dispatcher Requirements:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Bachelor's or Associate Degree in Transportation or Logistics would be advantageous.
- 2-3 years of experience as a Truck Dispatcher in a similar industry.
- Exceptional ability to schedule drivers, plan routes, and dispatch drivers to customer locations.
- Extensive experience in customer services, as well as generating freight bills and invoices.
- Experience with Transportation Management Software (TMS), such as Samsara and Rose Rocket.
- Proficiency in office software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook Express.
- Ability to monitor drivers' logs, truck maintenance schedules, and repairs.
- Knowledge of applicable transportation regulations and laws.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and time management skills.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources