Toxicologist Job Description Template
We are looking for a methodical toxicologist to use scientific techniques to evaluate a variety of toxic substances and to assess the potential risks and harmful effects posed by them. The work carried out by toxicologists is necessary for a variety of industries to function optimally and in line with legal procedures and requirements, including the pharmaceutical, forensic, and ecological sectors.
To be successful in this role you must enjoy planning and carrying out experiments and be able to work within a multidisciplinary team in order to undertake comprehensive studies and investigations.
- Designing, planning, and carrying out experiments and trials in order to investigate various toxins.
- Using scientific equipment and analytical techniques to identify and assess toxins and their effects.
- Interpreting data in order to generate conclusions and to write reviews, reports, and papers on results.
- Undertaking field studies when necessary.
- Evaluating the impact of potential new medicines and radiation on humans, animals, and the environment.
- Giving evidence in court, specifically when working in the field of forensic toxicology.
- Carrying out risk assessments to determine the long-term effects of toxic materials.
- Advising on the safe handling of toxic substances, when necessary.
- Assisting in the process of establishing protective regulations for human, animal, and environmental welfare, when necessary.
- Conducting research into the testing of toxic substances and how their effects can be minimized.
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, pharmacy, forensic sciences, or a related field.
- Postgraduate degree in toxicology.
- Proven experience as a toxicologist in any relevant field.
- Highly organized and methodical approach to work.
- Experience collecting and analyzing large volumes of experimental data.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Exceptional problem-solving skills.
- Ability to multitask and work to tight deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.