A Forensic Scientist processes evidence to assist prosecution in criminal cases. Forensic Scientists assist in conducting post-mortem investigations, interpret blood spatter patterns, trace substances such as drugs in bodily fluids and tissue, and screen athletes for performance-enhancing drugs.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Forensic Scientist Job Description Template
We are looking to hire a knowledgeable Forensic Scientist to assist us by responding to call-outs, providing forensic expertise at crime scenes and reviewing crime scene reports. The Forensic Scientist will lead teams, conduct independent investigations and reconstructions, and compile technical and administrative reviews of complex, serious and major crime scenes. You will manage and preserve crime scenes until pertinent personnel arrive. You will testify in trials and hearings, and prepare records and reports.
To be successful in this role you need to apply your knowledge judiciously to reach sound conclusions. Ideal candidates are proficient multitaskers, resilient to stress and have excellent communication skills.
Forensic Scientist Responsibilities:
- Responding to crime scenes to make assessments and perform investigative tasks.
- Taking photographs and video recording crime scenes.
- Identifying and collecting physical evidence, and making notes.
- Attending autopsies to make observations, gather evidence and take photographs.
- Making crime scene sketches.
- Processing evidence in laboratory.
- Compiling reports for court proceedings, and providing expert testimony.
- Reconstructing and explaining events.
- Overseeing and mentoring less experienced staff.
- Maintaining and testing equipment to ensure effectiveness.
Forensic Scientist Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in forensic science, natural science or related field.
- 3+ years technical experience in forensic laboratory.
- Experienced with giving expert witness testimony in courts of law.
- Proficient with bloodstain pattern analysis.
- Proficient with crime scene reconstruction.
- Completion of criminal background check and polygraph examination.
- Undeterred by performing duties of unpleasant nature, for instance at serious and major crime scenes.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Available to travel.
- Available to work extended hours, over weekends and on public holidays.