Forensic Scientist Job Description Template
We are looking to hire a knowledgeable forensic scientist to assist us by responding to call-outs, providing forensic expertise at crime scenes, and reviewing crime scene reports. The Forensic Scientist will lead teams, conduct independent investigations and reconstructions, and compile technical and administrative reviews of complex, serious, and major crime scenes. You will manage and preserve crime scenes until pertinent personnel arrives. You will testify in trials and hearings, and prepare records and reports.
To be successful in this role you need to apply your knowledge judiciously to reach sound conclusions. Ideal candidates are proficient multitaskers, resilient to stress, and have excellent communication skills.
Forensic Scientist Responsibilities:
- Responding to crime scenes to make assessments and perform investigative tasks.
- Taking photographs and video recording crime scenes.
- Identifying and collecting physical evidence, and making notes.
- Attending autopsies to make observations, gather evidence, and take photographs.
- Making crime scene sketches.
- Processing evidence in the laboratory.
- Compiling reports for court proceedings, and providing expert testimony.
- Reconstructing and explaining events.
- Overseeing and mentoring less experienced staff.
- Maintaining and testing equipment to ensure effectiveness.
Forensic Scientist Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in forensic science, natural science, or related field.
- 3+ years of technical experience in a forensic laboratory.
- Experienced with giving expert witness testimony in courts of law.
- Proficient with bloodstain pattern analysis.
- Proficient with crime scene reconstruction.
- Completion of a criminal background check and polygraph examination.
- Undeterred by performing duties of unpleasant nature, for instance at serious and major crime scenes.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Available to travel.
- Available to work extended hours, over weekends, and on public holidays.