A Specimen Processor receives and processes specimens such as blood and urine samples in a laboratory, captures data and handles client and healthcare practitioner inquiries. Also known as Laboratory Specimen Processor or Specimen Accessioner.
Specimen Processor Job Description Template:
We are looking for a focused Specimen Processor to process specimens in our laboratory, and to respond to clients and phlebotomists’ inquiries. The Specimen Processor will confirm client and specimen details, and ascertain adequacy and appropriateness of specimens. You will ensure specimens are labeled and stored effectively, process specimens and dispose of older specimens. You will calibrate instruments, maintain equipment and sanitize your work environment.
To be successful in this position you need to follow procedures and ensure accuracy of data. Top candidates are organized, dexterous and perform to a high level of accuracy.
Specimen Processor Responsibilities:
- Verifying accuracy of client and specimen details.
- Examining specimens for adequacy and appropriateness.
- Capturing client and specimen data electronically.
- Sanitizing benchtops.
- Labeling and numbering specimens, and preparing aliquots.
- Centrifuging specimens.
- Disposing of specimens more than seven days old.
- Preparing specimens to be sent to a reference laboratory.
- Assisting clients and phlebotomists with inquiries pertaining to specimens requirements and test turnaround times.
- Complying with applicable laws and regulations, and company procedures and policies.
Specimen Processor Requirements:
- High school diploma, GED, or suitable equivalent.
- Previous experience in clinical laboratory or related work environment preferred.
- Proficient with MS Office Word and Excel.
- Proficient typing and data entry skills.
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Outstanding organizational skills.
- Ability to perform to high level of accuracy.
- Ability to handle biological materials.
- Dexterous, and able to handle toxic and caustic chemicals safely.
- Resilient to allergens such as fumes.