Tour Guide Job Description Template
We are searching for a vibrant tour guide to join our established company. The tour guide's responsibilities include planning travel itineraries, familiarizing customers with the locality by vehicle or foot, and ensuring that the group remains safe at all times. You should also stay up-to-date with new attractions that may be of interest to customers.
To ensure success as a tour guide, you should be an excellent storyteller with a knack for customer service. An outstanding tour guide will perform minor alterations to each itinerary to suit the unique interests of each group.
Tour Guide Responsibilities:
- Greeting and welcoming customers to the tour.
- Informing customers about the itinerary for each tour.
- Planning itineraries in accordance with weather forecasts and the length of each tour.
- Scheduling visits and purchasing tickets to museums, galleries, protected parks, and other attractions ahead of time, if required.
- Planning alternate activities in the event that cancellations, closures, or weather prohibit you from attending scheduled events.
- Gathering and maintaining the requisite equipment for each tour.
- Familiarizing yourself with the layout and history of the region or establishment in which you will be working.
- Familiarizing customers with each region or establishment.
- Encouraging guests to apply sunscreen regularly and to remain hydrated, if applicable.
- Directing customers to other, noncompeting services that might be of interest to them.
Tour Guide Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Prior experience as a tour guide is advantageous.
- Capacity to stand and walk for extended periods.
- Adherence to prescribed safety codes.
- Excellent conversational skills with a knack for storytelling.
- Personable, humorous disposition.
- Outstanding organizational, time management, and improvisational skills.
- Passionate about traveling.
- Ability to work during evenings and on weekends.