Surveyor Job Description Template
We are looking for an analytical surveyor to conduct land surveys and perform mathematical calculations with a high level of accuracy. Your measurements and calculations will be used for various construction and engineering projects in order to aid the decision-making and design process.
To be successful as a surveyor you must be able to undertake detailed research that involves examining historical property records and maps to determine the legal boundaries of a section of land or property.
- Travelling to sites, when necessary.
- Taking measurements of distances and angles on a property or section of land in order to establish legal boundaries.
- Employing specialized equipment, including distance measuring wheels, GPS, and geographic information system (GIS) devices to measure boundaries and contours.
- Performing mathematical calculations to determine and confirm surveying measurements.
- Marking and delineating boundaries and reference points on a property or section of land.
- Researching and consulting historical maps and surveys, as well as legal documents, relating to the property or section of land they are measuring.
- Analyzing data using plans, maps, charts, and software such as AutoCAD and GIS programs.
- Presenting data to clients and preparing reports detailing legal boundaries and other relevant information.
- Collaborating and working with project managers, construction crews, and government agencies, when necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in surveying, geomatics, geospatial sciences, geophysics, or a related field.
- At least 4 years of work experience under a licensed Professional Surveyor (P.S.).
- Successful completion of the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying® (NCEES), Fundamentals of Surveying (FS) exam, and the Principles and Practice of Surveying (PS) exam.
- Valid P.S. license.
- Experience using hand surveying tools (distance measuring wheels, plumb bobs, levels) and electronic surveying tools (transit levels, GPS equipment).
- Working knowledge of software such as AutoCAD and GIS programs.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.