GIS (Geographic Information Systems) Analysts work at the intersection of data analysis, programming and cartography. Their primary duties include analyzing spatial data through mapping software and designing digital maps with geographic data and various other data sets.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
GIS Analyst Job Description Template
We are looking for multi-skilled candidates with a quantitative background for the position of GIS Analyst. GIS Analysts are responsible for discovering patterns and trends through spatial mapping, developing mapping applications and tools and managing a digital library of geographic maps in various file types, among other duties.
GIS Analysts will need to explain geographic trends and findings from their analyses to clients, requiring excellent written and verbal communication.
GIS Analyst Responsibilities:
- Analyzing spatial data through the use of mapping software.
- Discovering patterns and trends through spatial mapping of data.
- Designing digital maps with geographic data and other data sources.
- Creating "shapefiles" to merge topographical data with external data by layering external data over a topographical map.
- Producing maps showing the spatial distribution of various kinds of data, including crime statistics and hospital locations.
- Developing mapping applications and tools.
- Converting physical maps into a digital form for computer usage.
- Performing data munging and cleaning to convert data into its desired form.
- Produce reports on geographic data utilizing data visualizations.
- Managing a digital library of geographic maps in various file types.
GIS Analyst Requirements:
- Degree in Computer Science, Geography, Surveying, Engineering or related field.
- Proficiency with database programming languages such as SQL, R or Python.
- Experience with mapping tools such as QGIS and Carto.
- Experience with GPS measuring tools.
- Outstanding quantitative skill set.
- Attention to detail and good problem-solving skills.
- Analytical mindset.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Good interpersonal skills.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources