GIS (Geographic Information Systems) Analysts are multi-skilled programmers, data analysts and cartographers. They are responsible for discovering spatial patterns and trends, developing mapping applications and tools and analyzing spatial data, among other duties.
When you're interviewing GIS Analysts, candidates should demonstrate attention to detail and good problem solving skills. Bad candidates will struggle to communicate effectively.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
GIS Analyst Interview Questions:
1. Which programming languages are the most essential for this role?
2. Which GIS applications have you used in your previous roles?
Candidates could list anything from QGIS and Carto for spatial mapping and analysis of data. Look for candidates who describe how they would use these applications to solve problems.
3. What, in your opinion, is the most important quality in a GIS Analyst?
Candidates should list attention to detail and good problem-solving skills as the key qualities in a GIS Analyst.
4. How do you stay abreast of developments in GIS?
Candidates should list reading GIS literature and blogs, as well as attending conferences as their means of staying informed.
5. Describe a time when you made a mistake in your duties. How did you rectify it?
Candidates should acknowledge the importance of diligence and how spatial analysis requires a detailed eye so as not to overlook anything important. Look for stories where candidates erred, rectified their error and learned a valuable lesson from the experience.
Similar Interview Questions
Related Hiring Resources