12 Stress Interview Questions:
- How do you feel this interview is going?
- How would you handle undeserved criticism from a superior?
- How many other jobs are you applying for?
- What would you do if you saw a colleague stealing supplies or equipment?
- What did you do when you had a boss you didn’t get along with?
- What would you do if a colleague took credit for your idea, and got a promotion?
- Was the stress of your previous job too much for you?
- What would you do if a colleague admitted to lying on their resume to get the job?
- What would you do if a customer verbally insulted you in front of co-workers?
- What would you change about the design of a baseball hat?
- Why were you fired from your previous job?
- How successful do you think you've been so far?
What is a stress interview?
A stress interview is used to put an interviewee in an awkward position and to throw them off balance. It is designed to reveal how a candidate acts under pressure, deals with stress, and handles workplace conflict.
Are stress interviews effective?
There are various potential negatives to stress interviews.
- Interview subjects are able to share more information when they feel relaxed and comfortable.
- Confrontation can make interview subjects guarded and defensive.
- Candidates who have negative interview experiences with your company are likely to tell other potential candidates, giving your company bad PR.
How do I conduct a good interview?
To be a good interviewer, you have to be prepared, ask the right questions, listen carefully, and evaluate the candidate to see if they're the right fit for your company.
How do you structure an interview?
- Learn more about the candidate.
- Find out the candidate's motivations.
- Discuss the candidate's skills.
- Check the cultural fit.
- Ask stress interview questions.
- Discuss the position.
- Discuss the salary.
- Invite questions.
What are stress interview questions?
- You don’t have enough experience for this position. Why should we hire you?
- Do you think you’re doing well in this interview?
- How many other companies are interested in you?
- I don’t understand your answer. Can you please explain it differently?