Sports Psychologist Job Description Template
We are looking to hire a sports psychologist with excellent research and counseling skills. Sports psychologists are expected to study an athlete’s motivation, personality and performance in order to improve their self-efficacy through physiological contexts such as biomechanics and kinesiology.
To ensure success, Sports psychologists should be confident communicators with the ability to enhance an athlete’s performance through attention control training and mind awareness techniques. Top candidates will have incredible listening skills with expertise in using breathing, relaxation and/or cognitive techniques to instill focus and mental intensity that is necessary for athletes to increase their performance levels.
Sports Psychologist Responsibilities:
- Provide athletes with psychological counseling related to their performance.
- Develop mental strategies that enable athletes to cope with and overcome setbacks or injuries.
- Conduct research on an athlete’s mental, emotional and physical attributes in order to effectively coach and improve performance levels.
- Identify mental strengths and weaknesses that contribute to or affect an athlete’s performance.
- Facilitate counseling and/or workshops that focus on goal setting, visualization and relaxation.
- Enhance an athlete’s performance through visualization techniques.
- Advise and treat athletes with mental health conditions.
- Counsel athletes that have endured sports injuries.
- Help athletes to manage on and off-field pressure and anxiety.
- Apply modern and improvised concepts to enhance physical potential.
Sports Psychologist Requirements:
- Bachelors degree in psychology/kinesiology or related (essential).
- Member of the association for applied sport psychology. (highly advantageous).
- Two years of experience as a sports psychologist.
- Thorough understanding of sports culture and the ability to display sound judgment.
- Ability to communicate and interact closely with athletes, coaching staff, and administrative personnel.
- Tailor strategies that assist athletes in overcoming difficulties, improving performance, and preparing for competition.
- Work with a multidisciplinary team including other psychologists, nutritionists, GPs, coaches, and physiologists.
- Deliver counseling and/or workshops that focus on goal setting, visualization, and relaxation.
- Equip athletes with mental strategies to cope with and overcome setbacks or injuries.
- Innovative thinker with strong conceptual and problem-solving skills.
- Superb research and counseling skills.
- Profound listening and planning skills.
- Passionate about enhancing the self-efficacy of athletes.