Sports Medicine Physician Job Description Template
We are looking to hire a sports medicine physician with excellent research and counseling skills. Sports medicine physicians are expected to have remarkable listening and decision-making skills and must display sound judgment.
To ensure success, sports medicine physicians should be critical thinkers with the ability to completely rehabilitate an injured athlete through accurate diagnoses and effective treatment. Top candidates will have incredible problem-solving skills, exhibit confidence when instructing injured athletes, and have the ability to closely monitor the entire rehabilitation process.
Sports Medicine Physician Responsibilities:
- Providing comprehensive diagnoses and treatments of sports or activity-related injury.
- Using manual techniques to prevent and treat muscular and skeletal conditions.
- Providing athletes with education and counseling related to their injury.
- Implementing mental strategies that enable athletes to cope with and overcome setbacks or injuries.
- Providing nutritional guidance to assist with the rehabilitation process.
- Ordering and interpreting results of diagnostic imaging procedures.
- Recording all medical care information and maintaining medical records.
- Evaluating athletes prior to sports participation to determine predisposition to injury.
- Coordinating sports care activities with other medical experts.
- Informing and counseling coaches and trainers on the medical condition of athletes.
- Supervising the entire rehabilitation process.
- Developing and implementing procedures for dealing with emergency injury situations.
- Conducting research into the prevention and treatment of injuries or medical conditions.
- Developing and prescribing exercise programs to condition rehabilitated athletes.
Sports Medicine Physician Requirements:
- Degree in medicine or related (essential).
- 3 years of residency in sports medicine (essential).
- 2 years of specialty training in an accredited sports medicine fellowship program (essential).
- Current state medical license (essential).
- Completed U.S. medical licensing examination (essential).
- Two years of experience as a sports medicine physician.
- Thorough understanding of sports culture and the ability to display sound judgment.
- Ability to communicate and interact closely with all patients.
- Tailor strategies that assist athletes in overcoming difficulties, improving performance, and preparing for competition.
- Work with a multidisciplinary team including other psychologists, nutritionists, GPs, coaches, and physiologists.
- Deliver counseling that focuses on goal setting, visualization, and relaxation.
- Equip athletes with mental strategies to cope with and overcome setbacks or injuries.
- Innovative thinker with strong conceptual and problem-solving skills.
- Superb research and counseling skills.
- Profound listening and planning skills.
- Passionate about enhancing the self-efficacy of athletes.