The job of a software developer depends on the needs of the company, organization or team they are on. Some build and maintain systems that run devices and networks. Others develop applications that make it possible for people to perform specific tasks on computers, cellphones or other devices.
If you're looking for someone who can do both back end and front end software development, you'll want a full-stack developer.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Software Developer Job Description Template
Our company is seeking to hire a skilled Software Developer to help with the development of our current projects. Your duties will primarily revolve around building software by writing code, as well as modifying software to fix errors, adapt it to new hardware, improve its performance, or upgrade interfaces. You will also be involved in directing system testing and validation procedures, and also working with customers or departments on technical issues including software system design and maintenance.
To be successful in this role, you will need extensive knowledge of programming languages and the software development life-cycle. A Bachelor's degree in computer science or related degree is required.
Software Developer Responsibilities:
- Modifying software to fix errors, adapt it to new hardware, improve its performance, or upgrade interfaces.
- Directing system testing and validation procedures.
- Directing software programming and documentation development.
- Consulting with departments or customers on project status and proposals.
- Working with customers or departments on technical issues including software system design and maintenance.
- Analyzing information to recommend and plan the installation of new systems or modifications of an existing system.
- Consulting with engineering staff to evaluate software-hardware interfaces and develop specifications and performance requirements.
- Designing and developing software systems using scientific analysis and mathematical models to predict and measure outcomes and design consequences.
- Preparing reports on programming project specifications, activities, or status.
- Conferring with project managers to obtain information on limitations or capabilities.
Software Developer Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or related degree.
- Knowledge of the software development life-cycle.
- The desire to work in fast-paced environment.
- Ability to develop unit testing of code components or complete applications.
- Creativity is always a plus.
- Must be a full-stack developer and understand concepts of software engineering.
- Experience working on a variety of software development projects.
- Deep programming language knowledge.
Software Developer FAQ:
What is the role of a software developer?
Software engineers design, develop, and test software and applications for computers. The main duties and responsibilities of software engineers include directing and participating in programming activities, monitoring, and evaluating system performance, and designing and implementing new programs and features. Add your major responsibilities of software developers to our full software engineer role description sample to design a job listing for your organization and start attracting top talent today.
What is another name for software developers?
The job title for software engineers may vary between companies. The most common alternate job title for these professionals is software engineer, but companies may also assign more descriptive job titles based on an employee’s expertise or area of focus.
Can I edit or add to your software engineer description?
Feel free to customize any section of our software application developer job description to get a listing that fits your company’s needs.
What qualifications do you need to be a software engineer and how can I include them when I advertise a software engineer job?
The software engineer job requirements may vary a little between companies because each company has its own specific software engineering needs. Companies generally require excellent problem solving and analytical skills, strong collaboration skills, and training or extensive experience in certain areas. Additionally, a company may require fluency in specific programming languages, experience working with different programming tools, or familiarity with certain programming processes.
When you post a software engineer job, you should focus on the qualifications and qualities your company needs in its next hire. Add your details to our software engineer job description sample to create a job advertisement that works for your business.
Do you have interview questions for software engineers?
We have interview questions to go with all of our job descriptions.
After you have reviewed our software developer job description template and created your custom job listing, take some time to review our software developer interview questions.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources