Social Science Research Assistant Job Description Template
We are looking for a dynamic social science research assistant to join our research department. In this role, you'll assist scientists with laboratory work, such as conducting experiments, performing subject interviews, processing research data, and updating databases.
To ensure success as a social science research assistant, you should have a nuanced understanding of the social sciences and the ability to use critical thinking methods to perform crucial research. Ultimately, a top-notch social science research assistant should be an organized individual who can accurately manage large quantities of data.
Social Science Research Assistant Responsibilities:
- Assisting lead scientists with experiments and research by collecting data, organizing supplies, and cleaning equipment.
- Reviewing published research and applying the findings to develop test protocols to be used in future studies.
- Managing test subjects by conducting interviews, administering tests, and recording all subject information.
- Verifying the accuracy and validity of data and correcting errors when needed.
- Developing graphs, tables, and reports to communicate experiment results to superiors.
- Updating the department's digital and physical database, tracking inventory, and ensuring all equipment works correctly.
- Ensuring the experiment area or laboratory is clean, sterilized, and organized at all times.
- Updating research findings by writing portions of case studies, reports, and grant proposals.
- Keeping abreast with the latest developments in social sciences and industry changes.
Social Science Research Assistant Requirements:
- A bachelor's degree in social science, such as psychology, sociology, geography, history, etc.
- A minimum of 2 years' experience working as a social science research assistant at a laboratory or research facility.
- Excellent knowledge of social science research methods and testing procedures.
- Familiarity with data analysis software, such as Datapine, SPSS, and OriginPro.
- Solid organizational skills and the ability to work accurately with a large amount of data.
- Great analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to follow and complete complex instructions in a timely and efficient manner.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.