Set Designer Job Description Template
We are searching for a skilled, self-motivated set designer to join our production team. The set designer’s responsibilities include analyzing scripts and collaborating with the director, researching historical and architectural details, providing cost and time estimates, and ensuring all sets meet safety standards. You should be able to collaborate with different creative teams and stay motivated while working long hours.
To be successful as a set designer, you should be able to delegate tasks, make decisions under pressure, and provide clear instructions. Outstanding candidates have a keen eye for detail, strong creative vision, and the ability to maturely process criticism.
Set Designer Responsibilities:
- Understanding scripts and production specifications and collaborating with the director to design the layout and look of the set using pencil sketches and software.
- Liaising with the costume, prop, make-up, lighting, and camera crews to confirm set details.
- Delegating tasks, developing time schedules, and ordering required materials for the set.
- Researching historical, architectural, and cultural details and incorporating these into the set.
- Supervising set construction and communicating with set builders.
- Selecting lighting, furniture, wall and floor coverings, and all other props used on set.
- Producing models for the director’s approval and implementing changes as required.
- Providing cost estimates and negotiating with vendors to secure the best deals.
- Inspecting stage entrances and exits to ensure the set is positioned correctly, and also performing quality assurance on all aspects of the set.
- Briefing crew and actors on set safety and also explaining how the set operates.
Set Designer Requirements:
- An art-based degree or similar.
- A completed apprenticeship may be acceptable.
- Additional courses in Film, Theatre, Performing Arts, TV, or Design is a plus.
- Extensive experience working in film, theatre, or television.
- Knowledge of 3D design, architecture, or interior design would be advantageous.
- Excellent creative intelligence and time management skills.
- A good eye for detail and the ability to generate many ideas.
- Deadline-driven and committed.