School Nurses are specialist nursing professionals that strive to advance the well-being of students and staff within the school environment. They promote healthcare and safety by handling the daily health issues that arise at the school(s) where they practice.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
School Nurse Job Description Template
We are looking for a School Nurse that will be responsible for the healthcare of our students and staff members. Some of the School Nurse’s responsibilities will include teaching classes on nutrition and health and developing healthcare initiatives for the school.
To be successful as a School Nurse, you must be knowledgeable in principles and practices underlying professional nursing and remain up to date with current trends in the specialized field of school health.
School Nurse Responsibilities:
- Utilizing existing resources to provide appropriate healthcare to students and staff.
- Assessing the status of student and staff immunization documentation, when necessary.
- Promoting an optimal level of wellness among students and staff by providing preventative healthcare services, such as immunizations.
- Developing and implementing health plans for students with specific health needs.
- Carrying out health assessments and screening for deficits in vision, hearing, growth, and/or development of students.
- Planning and implementing school health management protocols and procedures, especially for emergency situations.
- Providing referrals, to parents or staff, for intervention and remediation of abnormal or worrying health conditions affecting students.
- Providing ongoing health counseling to students, parents, and staff.
- Completing medical paperwork, when necessary.
- Attending various school meetings.
School Nurse Requirements:
- A Bachelor’s degree in nursing or another health-related field.
- Successful completion of the national exam for registered nurses (NCLEX-RN).
- Certification through the National Board for Certification of School Nurses (NBCSN).
- Member of the National Association of School Nurses (NASN).
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, and Access).
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Wonderful bedside manner.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources