Public Health Nurse Job Description Template
We are looking for a dedicated public health nurse to administer community healthcare and facilitate appropriate intervention plans. In this role, your duties will include instructing families on patient care, providing maternity and childcare guidance, and creating awareness of disease prevention and control measures.
To ensure success, public health nurses should exhibit extensive experience in providing healthcare to communities and the ability to educate families on sound healthcare and disease prevention practices. Accomplished candidates proactively facilitate healthcare interventions and provide communities with access to quality healthcare services.
Public Health Nurse Responsibilities:
- Providing nursing services and healthcare education at homes and community clinics.
- Developing treatment and intervention plans based on healthcare assessments.
- Instructing families on patient care and promoting healthy lifestyles.
- Coordinating treatment, convalescence, and rehabilitation plans with other healthcare providers.
- Providing maternity and childcare guidance, as well as facilitating interventions, when required.
- Conducting immunization programs, as well as promoting disease prevention and control measures.
- Inventorizing and replenishing medical supplies, as well as maintaining medical equipment.
- Updating and maintaining patient files and medical records.
- Participating in health education initiatives and keeping abreast of advancements in the field of public health.
- Performing regular vehicle maintenance checks, logging trips, and proactively initiating repairs.
Public Health Nurse Requirements:
- Bachelor of Science in nursing degree (BSN).
- State-licensed Registered Nurse (RN).
- Advanced Public Health Nurse – Board Certified (APHN-BC) preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience in a similar role.
- Proficiency in electronic health record management systems, such as Nightingale Notes and Axxess.
- Extensive experience in assessing and treating patients, and coordinating interventions.
- Advanced ability to educate patients and their families on healthcare and disease prevention.
- Ability to maintain supply inventories, travel extensively, and perform regular vehicle maintenance checks.
- In-depth knowledge of best practices in public healthcare and advancements in the field.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills to advise patients and their families.