Policy Analysts examine policies to evaluate their efficiency. They scrutinize policies to determine whether they match objectives, review and amend policy drafts, and suggest improvements to existing policies. They may work in a variety of fields, including politics, health, education, professional services, and non-profit organizations.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Policy Analyst Job Description Template
We are seeking a well-informed Policy Analyst to evaluate the existing policies that govern our organization. As a Policy Analyst, your duties will include reviewing existing policies, determining whether the policies are still in line with our goals, and suggesting improvements. You may also be required to consult external stakeholders.
To ensure success, a Policy Analyst should possess specialized knowledge and a firm grasp on the legal considerations related to policy development. Outstanding Policy Analysts provide direction and advice that ultimately contribute to positive changes within the organization.
Policy Analyst Responsibilities:
- Applying specialist knowledge in evaluating existing policies.
- Determining if policies are aligned with stated goals and objectives.
- Consulting with internal and external stakeholders to ensure inclusion of relevant factors.
- Identifying benefits, disadvantages, and omissions in existing policy frameworks.
- Ensuring that policies and policy amendments meet legal requirements.
- Reporting on findings and proposing new policies or amendments to existing policies.
- Drafting new policies or amendments to policies and submitting proposals for review.
- Editing and finalizing new policies or amendments as required.
- Documenting processes and disseminating information to stakeholders.
Policy Analyst Requirements:
- A Master's Degree in a related field preferred.
- 2-3 years of experience in analyzing policies.
- Extensive experience in determining if policies align with objectives.
- Exceptional ability to determine policy oversights and omissions.
- Advanced ability to recommend new policies or amendments and prepare draft versions.
- In-depth knowledge of legal considerations relevant to policies.
- Advanced knowledge of conventions and standards in policy writing.
- Ability to collaborate with internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience in preparing reports and presenting findings.
- Excellent recordkeeping and communication skills.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources