Personnel Security Specialists perform background checks on applicants who apply for government jobs that require a security clearance. They conduct background research, prepare investigation reports, and develop background check procedures. They may also work at other institutions, including banks and airports.
Post to over 100+ job boards.
Reach over 150 million candidates.
Completely free trial, no credit card required.
Personnel Security Specialist Job Description Template
We are seeking a resourceful Personnel Security Specialist to conduct background checks on job applicants. In this role, you will be reviewing statements of personal history, investigating information provided in interviews, and recommending whether security clearances should be granted.
To ensure success, Personnel Security Specialists should exhibit extensive experience in background investigations and the ability to accurately interpret security-related information. A first-class Personnel Security Specialist will be someone whose investigative skills result in reliable security clearance recommendations.
Personnel Security Specialist Responsibilities:
- Determining the employment suitability of applicants who require security clearances.
- Reviewing questionnaire answers, statements of personal history, and other related data prior to starting formal background checks.
- Investigating pertinent background information, such as credit bureau reports, local agency checks, criminal records, and traffic violations.
- Evaluating interview answers and investigating potentially adverse information.
- Drafting follow-up questions for cases where insufficient information was provided.
- Determining the authenticity and veracity of all background information, interview answers, and statements.
- Preparing reports and recommending whether security clearances should be granted, suspended, revoked, or denied.
- Documenting processes and ensuring the protection of sensitive information.
- Developing and maintaining sound background investigation practices, as well as ensuring compliance.
Personnel Security Specialist Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in a related field.
- Five years’ experience as a Personnel Security Specialist, or in a similar role.
- Extensive knowledge of security policies, systems, procedures, and investigation techniques.
- Proficiency in office software and task management solutions, such as MS Word, Excel, and monday.com.
- Experience in gathering and reviewing background information.
- Advanced knowledge of information verification techniques.
- Exceptional ability to make recommendations and adjudicate on the granting of clearances.
- Advanced ability to document processes, report findings, and protect sensitive information.
- Ability to develop and maintain sound background investigation practices.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and communication skills.
Similar Job Descriptions
Related Hiring Resources